Picture
My last kettlebell sport competition was December of 2009. I had decided after that I was going to take a break from competitions and focus on training & coaching my clients, building my business, writing, going vegan, meditation, and getting tattoos. Then my friends Karen "The Queen" & Jay "The Legend" Trunzo had to invite me down to their gym to teach a kettlebell sport seminar and a kettlebell trainer certification course in July of 2011 and after that all hell broke loose.

One year later in 2012 they brought a couple lifters up to my tiny Atlanta kettlebell competition and decided not only to go full on into the sport but to host, what in my opinion, was the best run kettlebell sport meet in the country ever-at least that I've attended. They set the meet date for April 13, 2013 and I decided right about January that going down and making an appearance wouldn't be good enough, if I was going to support their efforts I had to dust off my weightlifting shoes and get back on the platform. It's funny, this sport sucks, it's frustrating, it hurts, and it can get you in the best shape of your life, but it sucks. However, just like my other iron love the sport of powerlifting, kettlebell sport is addictive. There is nothing like taking the platform and seeing if you can bring your best on that day. For me, it's going the full 10:00 set in my event, the long cycle (clean & jerk of 2 kettlebells).

So that was it, after getting back to training after a 2-year layoff, some friendly joking with a former student of mine who I "convinced" to join the competition, and submitting my entry fee I was in. My training was adjusted to focus on the long cycle and I supplemented it with basic strength work and running. Simple.

My best efforts in competition to date had been 37 reps with 24kg kettlebells in the clean & jerk at the 2009 Arnold Classic and 65 reps with 20kg kettlebells in the clean & jerk at the 2009 Atlanta State kettlebell sport meet. At both of these competitions I weighed about 220 lbs. competing in the 90+kg weight class. Going into the FL meet I was tipping the scales at a much trimmed down 180 lbs and actually weighed in the morning of the competition at 83kg-2kg under the limit of my new class.

Picture
Punch Gym Sarasota - the calm before the storm!
Picture
My friend and former student John Beamon and I going at it in the long cycle!
Picture
Scott Shetler and Jason Sanchez, best male lifters and Oscar award winners!
My training cycle went well and I ended up hitting a personal record in a training 10:00 set of 72 reps with the 20kg bells. My previous best was 71. All in all I felt good and was as ready as I was going to be. I made the trip down to Sarasota on April 12 - I had also been asked to host a kettlebell trainer certification & Indian club trainer certification course at two of my former student's training center Science of Strength in Tampa the Sunday after the competition so this turned into a working weekend as well.

I have to say, Karen and Jay did an amazing job putting on this meet. Not only did they get a big turnout, the meet was incredibly well run and the lifting was of a very high quality. Even many of the beginners I saw were putting up very good repetitions which is a testimony to the attention to detail Karen and Jay take when they teach their students.

I ended up hitting a personal record of 67 reps with the 20kg bells which was good enough for best male overall long cycle and a rank 2 lifter classification; and my friend Jason Sanchez put on an amazing display winning the 28kg men's overall biathlon title and missing Candidate for Master of Sport ranking by a heart-breaking 2 repetitions in the snatch! In the women's division Teri Stabler won the best female long cycle with the 16kg bell making 57 reps, and Melissa Swanson of the Ice Chamber put on an amazing display of kettlebell lifting winning the best female lifter with an amazing 105 rep total with the 24kg bell!

It was great to get back down to Sarasota and see the amazing progress Punch Gym has made in the world of kettlebell sport after only a year and a half! They have a great group of lifters led by a couple of great coaches. I'm already looking forward to next years event, and maybe, just maybe I'll get back on the platform again!

To view the results of the competition click here:

-Scott

Comments

09/10/2013 08:00

" This is a great inspiring article. I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really helpful information. Keep it up. "

09/10/2013 10:53

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

10/05/2013 03:16

You have really helped several of individuals like me, who have been searching internet from past quite a long time to find detailed information on this particular topic. Thanks a ton.

10/11/2013 02:27

The post is written in very a good manner and it entails many useful information for me. I appreciated what you have done here.

10/29/2013 06:07

You contain indeed helped distinct of separates preference me, who own been searching internet from antecedent very a pine era to locate exacting info on this particular subject. Acknowledges a ton.

In addition to the environment of education, the quality of education and the content of education also matters. The students who study the subjects of humanities and social sciences often become very sensitive to the realities of life.

10/21/2015 01:53

11/17/2015 10:30

Wow, you are so strong! Great post.

02/17/2016 05:43

My best efforts in competition to date had been 37 reps with 24kg kettlebells in the clean & jerk at the 2010

I am really impressed with your efforts as well as actually delighted to visit this post.

03/23/2016 03:50

03/23/2016 03:50

wow this saintly however ,I love your enter plus nice pics might be part personss negative love being defrent mind total poeple ,

03/26/2016 06:20

I have stopped fighting with myself to go to a gym and try to find the experience enjoyable. Instead, both my husband and I have found fun activities that allow us to get our exercise.

Greetings! Thanks for sharing with us this interesting information about your Punch Gym Sarasota Kettlebell Sport Championship. Good article it is. Well and expecting more from you I am impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon

04/10/2016 06:22

Great job for you being fit. It requires a lot of self-discipline to be able to do what you have done. I would also like to reduce some fat but so far, I have not really done anything important.

06/04/2016 12:16

Sports and games are very much important for a healthy life. There are so many games which are played in our world. Some of them are played on international level.

07/02/2016 06:27

Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.

I wish I could visit this gym. I am sure this gym is amazing.

07/05/2016 06:14

The best thing you can do is go to the gym. Muscular developing will make you more dense, and your human is going to like it! More than anything, physical work out will provide your hunger up and you'll probably put on weight progressively if you eat right.

07/09/2016 08:37

I do not know what kind of body building you are doing, if any. It seems like your are doing some kind of body building. You need to concentrate on your repetitions or reps.

07/10/2016 09:25

I too want to have a fit body, and I too want to build up muscles and burn off fat, that is why I joined Transflash Gym My coach is a wonderful resource for me.

07/21/2016 08:23

One of the great work out i obtained online to focus on inner hip and legs is push up. which are extremely difficult to do. If you will do great quantity push up in daily routine then you would make perfect body.

07/26/2016 16:25

The most profound kind of gym training – individualized, motivating and highly efficient.

07/29/2016 06:37

I am very interested in all the information written on this page, for that I can only say thank you to all those I've read on this page.

08/01/2016 06:10

his is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work.

08/02/2016 06:15

Great job! You all do an incredible blog, and have some extraordinary substance. Keep up the great work.I am extremely satisfied to see this article, thank you for sharing. I trust next the reality of the situation will become obvious eventually better.Inside If you on my landing page can be discovered more related substance.

08/15/2016 06:51

Exceed your fitness goals with the right exercise equipment. Shop the best selection of cardio machines, strength training gear, boxing equipment and more.

08/27/2016 03:29

Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here.

I was scheduled to go on my first cruise with my sisters just thirty days after starting a new fitness program. As the cruise date approached, I started to feel anxiety about taking this vacation of a lifetime. I started wondering just how I was going to enjoy a vacation,

09/18/2016 04:08

Are you searching for a new home workout? If so, the total gym fitness have everything you're looking for. Some people may be skeptical or even doubtful that piece of home equipment works. Well, I'm here to tell you that it does work and I'm going to tell you how......

09/18/2016 04:11

Along with all the modern conveniences also comes a reduction in physical activity, making home gym fitness equipment popular for busy people. Technology has brought so many conveniences to our everyday lives and has made it possible to pack so much more into a single day.

09/19/2016 02:01

You truly did more than visitors’ expectations. Thank you for rendering these helpful, trusted, edifying and in addition cool thoughts on the topic to Kate.

The accompanying strides will give you a thought of how everything functions. Choose in the event that You Have What It Takes-Personal mentors need a huge number of aptitudes.

10/06/2016 10:16

In the event that there's no covering and it's simply uncovered froth, take a stab at soaking it with the disinfectant blend, abandon it for 10 minutes or something like that, then crush out as a significant part of the dampness as you can. Leave the seat some place warm and dry so that the froth can dry out appropriately, as before a warmer or in the sun if the climate's warm where you are.

10/13/2016 16:36

There are four main boxing styles that are part of the sport and are used in matches. As nobody is alike in this world, so it is with boxers and boxing. Mentally, as well as physically, there will never be any two boxers who fight with the exact same style..

11/02/2016 08:44

Thermogenics stimulate the thyroid gland and the central nervous system to speed up the metabolic fat burning process.

11/05/2016 00:05

Congratulations for making it successfully! you are now savoring the fruit of your hard works and labors of your focus and dedications.

11/07/2016 06:37

Technology has made things very easy for people in all walks of life and cricket fans are no exception. Since the earlier days where the radio was the only source through which one could know about the status of a match that was being played. Today one can be in any corner of the world and yet know about the latest that is happening on a cricket field.

11/28/2016 15:40

There is much research supporting the theory that proper exercise is the best solution to eliminating back pain. Though exercise weak muscles can be strengthen and retrained. Strong, balanced muscles support the spinal column and helping to correct any dysfunction. Many turn to yoga for help in relieving back pain. But what yoga exercises or movements are the best for back pain.

11/29/2016 03:32

Wol bestaat uit zachte, dunne haren afkomstig van de vacht van verscheidene dieren. Wollen sokken zijn het best om de bloedcirculatie van uw voeten stimuleren. Het advies voor baby’s is dan ook om wollen sokjes of slofjes met blote voetjes te dragen. Hierdoor worden de voetjes gemasseerd en blijven lekker warm maar zweten niet.

11/29/2016 09:23

All the local and international football match predictions for all the lovers of football and also soccer predictions and all the advance matches predictions.

ISL is the indian Super League which is a famous football league of India. Now the ISL 2016 edition is going on perfectly and football lovers enjoy a lot.

hira
11/29/2016 12:30

There is a beautiful Yar-Craft 219 TFX waiting at Sherm's Marine to be rigged and put on the show circuit for this winter, it is also very for sale.

11/29/2016 12:36

I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts.

11/29/2016 12:43

pte English test great posts.

11/29/2016 12:50

All the local and international ipl 2017 site match predictions

11/29/2016 12:57

today lottery result, lottery results, nagaland lottery, nagaland lottery today

12/01/2016 10:23

Test Your Internet speed test by using PTCL SPEED TEST tool

12/01/2016 10:32

befitz suggest you if you have a small budget then you can use our Best Wall Art Ideas For My Living Room in a smart way and have no worries for your home decor.

12/05/2016 03:38

12/23/2016 04:00

Technology has brought so many conveniences to our everyday lives & this is advance step in fitness and athletic games. the online training make you fit by using simple exercise tips by trainers. This information have meaningful information or those who have no time for gym.

01/01/2017 01:58

A sports betting deal is a gambling in which you have to pay some cash to finish the bet and once your team has won the game then you will get the opportunity to gain more than what you have invested. But if your guess is not right then you will not gain any amount. Nowadays sports betting online have become very helpful for thousands and thousands of real sports better.

01/02/2017 23:22

Ideally you keep the soul to do this despite the fact that their own particular site I'm certain you are going to even now give grand.

This blog aware me about different programs which can become very useful for our friends and kids. Few websites provide combined courses and few of the are separately for single subject. Glad to get this information.

02/05/2017 03:03

Find family tents, Outfitter Tents, Backpacking Tents, Canopies and Truck Tents.

02/07/2017 23:52

MyJio App APK Free Download MyJio App 3.2 helps you to Check your balance & validity quickly.You can Link & manage multiple Jio accounts for your friends and family.

With so much Critics the movie Arrival is still domination for the academy award nominations 2017 and The 89th Academy Awards ceremony is love by all people and they urged that it should win the Oscar award 2017 which is going to held in February.

02/16/2017 19:30

That is very good blog you shared.Thank you so much that for you shared those things with us.All the best for future work.

02/18/2017 19:00

It's very sorry if we have different idea than you. A very good reading indeed. :)

02/26/2017 04:16

In all these situations, your body will cut its energy usage. This results in you gaining weight even when you have not increased your food consumption.

Are you currently acquainted with the actual term If some thing appears as well great to become correct this most likely is?

The actual herbal treatments within Zenerx tend to be filled with vitamin antioxidant which reestablish as well as safeguard your entire body.

03/12/2017 17:27

therefore called simply because it is stated to provide the actual power and also energy of the horses.

This enhances the human body's capability to sustain hard physical work and also assists your body adjust to various kinds associated with tension. This is documented to improve psychological functionality and also memory space.

03/13/2017 20:28

You humiliated to talk about the problem together with your physician possibly.

03/14/2017 13:03

Whenever partners had been wiped out, they will got on the operating in the family members that, within an Camera establishing, is usually extremely big.

Fenix builds the world's brightest, most powerful & reliable tactical LED flashlights in the world. Fenix-Store will guide you in choosing the best tactical flashlight.

03/15/2017 16:42

They say that all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy and as such, it is always good to engage in some form of sports in order to keep fit. One of the most common sports people engage in is running and indeed, it is such a fascinating sport. However, running requires one to have the appropriate shoes not only for maximum performance, but also in order to prevent injuries.

03/17/2017 02:57

It is interesting when the subject of sports fitness comes up and what it brings to mind for most people. If you are in the choice of people that thinks about sports related activities when this idea is presented to you then you would be correct. In fact in most cases sports fitness is usually related to a specific sports activity.

04/03/2017 15:36

Gold nuggets traced by a rainbow, riches far beyond a king's ransom. Life flowing with wonders, to be cherished evermore.

04/04/2017 17:48

04/11/2017 06:17

Did you know that you can finally stream online content, like movies or you tube videos to your large screen TV without using a computer or having to buy some special box designed to do this? The internet TVs are out now as well as a new line of Blu-ray players that will do this for you as long as you have a broadband fast connection.

04/11/2017 07:43

The testosterone is really a natural hormone that is secreted by the male body in order to regulate his reproductive functions. The testosterone also gives them adequate amount of muscle strength, thus, people who wish to be able to build up in muscles fast would rely on a testosterone booster. Athletes as well as bodybuilders would be the number 1 users of the supplement.

04/19/2017 05:13

In this short introduction into the world of betting you will learn about several kinds of football bets. Main mistakes made by freshers and advices from career bettors.

Good work by the blog writer! such a nice and informative article keep sharing more articles.