I think one of the reasons people can't seem to lose weight may be that they are just too toxic.
When I hear people say to me that they "just can't do raw food" I really think it has more to do with fear of change. I think people become addicted to the foods they eat and are afraid to give them up or make drastic changes.
By switching to a mostly raw vegan nutrition plan I was told I would lose a ton of muscle and strength-basically get "skinny fat"-and that my skin would dry up and I'd be overall very unhealthy. Quite the opposite. I have leaned up quite a bit-even getting abdominal definition back, my energy has increased even though my sleep patterns are still far from desirable, and as of my last physical my lab work turned out to be excellent-far better than it has ever been. In addition, people who hadn't seen me since I started my "detoxification diet" have remarked that my eyes and skin are much clearer than before and that I look healthier and younger.
Please understand I am the guy who usually laughs at the before and after pics-but this is proof that this plan is working for me-and feel free to laugh away at the pics!
- Bodyweight: 220-230
- Blood Pressure: 125/85 - 135/90
- Total Cholesterol: 220 mg/dL
- HDL: 41 mg/dL
- LDL: 130 mg/dL
- Triglycerides: 135-300 mg/dL
- Bodyweight: 178-182 lbs.
- Blood Pressure: 102/67 - 112/72
- Total Cholesterol: 151 mg/dL
- HDL: 43 mg/dL
- LDL: 95 mg/dL
- Triglycerides: 65 mg/dL
After experiencing these results I plan to never go back!
Why is detoxification so important for fat loss? Lisa and I were watching a documentary the other day called "Hungry for Change" and it was summed up very nicely.
Here is a similar summary from www.foodmatter.tv:
Our bodies naturally detoxify everyday as part of a normal body process. Detoxification is one of the body’s most basic automatic functions of eliminating and neutralizing toxins through the colon, liver, kidneys, lungs, lymph and skin. Unfortunately in this day and age, with the pollution found in the air, water and food we eat, our bodies have a hard time keeping up. Our chemicalized diet with too much animal protein, too much saturated and trans fats, too much caffeine and alcohol radically alters our internal ecosystem.
Body systems and organs that were once capable of naturally cleaning out unwanted substances are now completely over-loaded to the point where toxic material remains inside our tissues. Our bodies try to protect us from dangerous substances by isolating and surrounding them with mucous and fat so that they will not cause an imbalance or trigger an immune response (some people carry up to 15 extra pounds of mucous that harbors this waste).
So what's the best way to detoxify? Well, I typically do it with juice fasting followed by a completely raw vegan diet, but if you are not ready to dive in head-first and still want to make some positive changes here is what I would recommend starting with.
- Put a filter on your shower and your sink
- Start using natural healthcare products (skin creams, toothpaste, deoderant, etc)
- Start eating mostly raw fruits and vegetables, paying particular attention to bitter, green leafy vegetables (parsley is great for detoxification BTW)
- Cut out, or at least seriously cut back, on animal products particularly meat and dairy
- Cut out alcohol, drugs and caffeine, and if you smoke STOP
- Make time for relaxation, try adding qigong, taiji or yoga into your daily exercise plan-at the very least do a lot of stretching and deep breathing exercises
- Educate yourself, check out these documentaries: "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", "Food Matters", "Vegucated", "Hungry for Change", and "Forks Over Knives"
At the very least - start making better food choices and take care of yourself!
I seriously hope you consider some form of detoxification and I think you will be very surprised at how fast the weight comes off as a result. Remember-the Fitness Industry wants you to focus on making the outside of your body look good at the expense of the inside. Forget the pills, potions and powders. Clean up your inside and the outside will take care of itself!
Stay Strong AND Healthy!